Roll up, roll up, step this way and be amazed as we reveal our theme for 2018. Bestival, the most colourful show on earth, will celebrate 250 years of Circus, on the Lulworth Estate at a brand-new showtime - 2nd-5th August 2018.
Ringmaster extraordinaire Rob da Bank says: “Yes fellow Bestivalites it’s time to run away and join the Circus, Bestival style! Bearded freaks, insane acrobats, high wire daredevils, mutant jugglers and an out of control ringmaster all eager for you to join the most colourful show on earth await! And what makes this show even more unmissable is we have moved into peak season August style and will be open a month earlier than usual... so what are you waiting for?”
Featuring the miracles of miracle makers from across the globe, be dazzled and delighted by Art Car Night Circus Parade, Caravanserai flying trapeze, fire eating, knife throwing, bearded ladies (and men!), the Insect Circus Museum, sword swallowing, our hall of mirrors, circus workshops and free haircuts. Plus, be astonished and astounded by all the brilliant Bestival stages and sideshows that you can’t see anywhere else in the world.
But that’s not all. We have a new showtime, too. In response to festivalgoers’ feedback we’ll be opening the gates to Bestival a whole month earlier in 2018. Moving to the heart of the summer, our circus-themed arcadia of discovery will now be held from the 2nd to the 5th of August*. Do not miss out.
So, come one, come all, for the circus is about to begin!
The xx, A Tribe Called Quest, The Pet Shop Boys, Justice, Dizzee Rascal, Little Dragon, Rag'n'Bone Man, Wiley, Laura Mvula, Danny Brown, Loyle Carner, Soul II Soul, Circa Waves, MNEK, Ray BLK, Stefflon Don, Johnny Flynn & the Sussex Wit, The Cuban Brothers
Jamie T, DJ Shadow, Kurupt FM, Blossoms, Lucy Rose, Twin Atlantic, AJ Tracey, Charlotte Church’s Late Night Pop Dungeon, Bomba Estereo, Fakear, DJ Yoda, U-Roy, Romare, Sinkane, Tash Sultana, Clean Cut Kid, Bjarki, Alma, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, Formation, Let’s Eat Grandma, Cakes da Killa, 67, London African Gospel Choir performing Graceland, Skinny Girl Diet, HMLTD, Lost Colours, Hackney Colliery Band, The Greasy Slicks, Park Hotel, The Smiths Ltd, Disney Rascal
Annie Mac, Andy C presents 25 Years of RAM, - Andy C, Calyx & Teebee, Culture Shock, DC Breaks & MC’s Tonn Piper, Carasel & 2Shy, Maceo Plex, Jackmaster, Kolsch, Heidi, Agoria, Dusky, Patrick Topping, Solardo, Monki, Melé, Raindance: Rat Pack, Slipmatt, Billy Daniel Bunter, Uncle Dugs, Jungle Fever: Brockie & MC Det, Jumping Jack Frost, Ragga Twins, Funky Flirt, Shockin B, Eastman Sound, Ruddy RanksJasper James, Avalon Emerson, Willow, Jem Haynes
David Rodigan presents RAM JAM - Special Guest TBA, Preditah, Conducta & MC Creed, Venum Sound Toddla T presents Carnival, Teklife showcase - DJ Spinn, DJ Taye, DJ Paypal & Teklife Dancers, Fatman Scoop, Midland, Sam Gellaitry, Shanti Celeste, Job Jobse, Barely Legal, Nightwave, Smerz, The Rhythm Method, Zoee, Anna Wall, Karaoke Glitter Rave, Martha, Tayo, Rajasthan Heritage Brass Band
INVADERS OF THE FUTURE
Honeyblood, Black Foxxes, Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer, Chastity Belt, The Magic Gang, Sean McGowan, The Tuts, TRAAMS, Dead!, Barns Courtney, Tom Walker, Dan Caplen, The Rising, The Showhawk Duo, Swan Levitt, Upstarts, Coco and the Butterfields, Vistas, The Du-Rell Family, Lewis Bootle, Fours, Wild Front, Jodie Abacus, Shama Rahman Band, Ecurbrekal, Nakamarra, Compton White, Brandon Rivers, Graceland, Route2Roots, Freazy, Eton Girls Choir, Ian Easton & The Widowmakers, Jarrod Dickenson
Roots Manuva, Mad Professor Trojan Sound System, Nice Up Presents Daddy G, Star.One, Shepdog, Ghost Writerz, Reggae Roast & MC Natty Campbell, DJ Dapper Dan
Shadow Child (Old Skl Set), Circa Waves (Dj Set), Joe Goddard (Live), Blossoms (Dj Set), Anna Straker, Loyal, Two Legs, Kagoule, Muncie Girls, Bellevue Days, Free Money & Fur, Greco-roman Soundsystem, Emily Rawson (Supa Dupa Fly), Balako (Dj Set), Jrust & Lavan (Cross The Tracks), Fred V & Grafix, Zdot Soundsystem With Isaiah Dreads, Eyez & The Manor, Majestic (Dj Set), Jus Now, The Fedz, Two Another, Makola, Phairo (Dj Set), Data 3 (Dj Set), Bdj (Burst), Lily Mercer, Idles, Yonaka, Linn Koch-emmery, Giant Party, Harry Jay-steele, Jovel, Disorder Djs
Sink the Pink, Buttmitzvah, Hard Cock Life, Heartless Crew, DJ Luck & MC Neat, Oxide & Neutrino & Matt Jam Lamont, Dazed takeover; Mykki Blanco, Octo Octa & Eclair Fifi, Jaguar Skillz, Drag Queen Bingo
Mr Scruff, Craig Charles Funk & Soul Club, South London Soul Train
47Soul, The Turbans, My Baby, Flamingods, New York Brass Band, Swing Patrol, Fandjango,
The Ska Vengers, Smoove and Turrell, K.O.G. and The Zongo Brigade, Kuenta I Tambu,
Chris Coco, Pete Gooding, Mixmaster Morris,
Cut A Shine
The World's Biggest Confetti Canon, Castle Fireworks Finale, Love-Bot,
The World's Biggest Bouncy Castle, Bestival Inflatable Church,
Confetti Wedding Disco, The Feast Collective, Slow Motion,
Revolution Rides, Carnival Day Parade, Night Parades
Sugar Skulls Cocktail Bus, Sunday Best Cardboard Record Shop,
Lost In The Woods, Ancient Woodlands, Free Haircuts,
Campsite Recycling Hubs, Kids Field, Flags by Angus Watt
Bestival festival information & FAQs
TICKET TERMS & CONDITIONS
1/ Proof of age may be required for all ticket types. Please ensure that you have ID with you in case you are asked. Failure to provide such ID may result in you being asked to leave the festival. See below for details on our Challenge 25 policy at Bestival.
2/ Adult and Student Tickets can only be used by persons age 18 or over.
3/ Teen (age 13-17) Tickets can only be purchased by persons over the age of 30.
4/ Child (12 & under) Tickets can only be purchased by persons over the age of 21.
5/ By purchasing a Child (age 12 & under) Ticket or a Teen (age 13-17) Ticket you are confirming that you are either the parent, legal guardian or nominated guardian of the teen or child for whom you are purchasing.
6/ Child and Teen ticket holders can only enter the festival with the person who purchased their ticket i.e. their parent, legal guardian or nominated guardian. Any Teen Ticket holders attempting to enter the festival without this person will be denied entry to the festival. For safety reasons, any persons attempting to enter the festival with a Child Ticket holder that they are not the parent, legal guardian or nominated guardian for will be denied entry.
7/ Nominated Guardians must complete a Non-Legal Guardianship Form bring this with them to the festival. As with parents and Legal Guardians, the nominated guardian must be over the age of 21 to accompany a Child (age 12 & under) or 30 to accompany a Teen (age 13-17) to the festival and comply with the other rules regarding entry.
8/ Each adult attending can accompany up to a maximum of 2 Teen Ticket holders.
9/ Teen Ticket holders must camp in the same location as their families.
10/ Teen Ticket holders are not allowed in the arena fields unaccompanied after 10pm.
11/ Teen ticket holders must be accompanied by their parent/guardian at all times after 10pm.
12/ Child Ticket holders are not allowed in the arena or campsites unaccompanied at any time.
13/ Student Tickets are for full-time students only. Valid NUS or ISIC ID required at the box office. No other student ID accepted.
14/ Prior written permission is needed by Bestival Ltd to use Bestival tickets in any sales promotions, media, marketing, reward programmes, staff incentives, raffles, auctions or general competitions. ‘Bestival’ is a registered trademark; the Bestival logo and any related Bestival artwork cannot be used without written permission of Bestival Ltd.
15/ Tickets are strictly non-refundable.
16/ All adults will be subject to a £10 Eco-Bond payable when tickets are purchased. This litter surcharge is fully refundable when a clear sack of recycling AND a refuse bag full of litter is presented to the litter station in the campsites over the weekend.
This year we are introducing re-entry rules to respect our new neighbours and the local village. Access to car parks will be allowed to help you bring in your camping equipment and bags in more than one trip if needed, but will be limited as follows:
- Pass-outs to access car parks only then re-enter the event are allowed until 4pm Friday with Weekend Camping Tickets. You will not be able to leave the event on foot via the car parks.
- Pass-outs and re-entry are not allowed at any time via the Shuttle Bus / Taxi Drop-off entrance with Weekend Camping Tickets.
- Pass-outs and re-entry are not allowed at any entrance after 4pm on Friday with Weekend Camping Tickets.
- Re-entry is permitted on all days with Weekend Non-Camping Tickets.
- Once parked, it is not permitted to exit and re-enter with the vehicle with Weekend Camping Tickets at any time.
GENERAL TICKET TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Right of admission reserved (R.O.A.R.)
- Bestival is for nice people and is about having a good time. Anti social behaviour will not be tolerated and you will be ejected without refund.
- No admission without a valid ticket (so don’t lose it)
- No entry to the site after midnight (each night)
- Items not permitted at Bestival: drugs and/or psychoactive substances (illegal or legal), potential weapons of any kind including penknives and cutlery), Chinese lanterns, camping gas canisters above 5kg, generators, portable/chemical toilets in the campsites, beanbags, any glass / glass bottles, drones.
- Chemical toilets are permitted in the campervan and caravan fields only.
- Large soundsystems are not permitted and you will be asked to leave them outside the event. Small portable speakers such as Minirigs are allowed to be brought into the campsites but please be considerate to your neighbours.
- Ticket holders give their express consent to the use of their actual or simulated likeness in connection with the production, exhibition, advertising and/or exploitation of any photos, film, video and/or audio recording of this event and/or any element thereof in any/all media throughout the world.
- Guests may be searched on entry to the event. If you are in possession of illegal substances you may be arrested.
- You are allowed to bring in a limited amount of alcohol for consumption in the campsites only. The maximum you can bring in per person is 1 crate of cans/plastic bottles (24 max.) & 70cl of spirits (incl. wine) in a plastic bottle or carton. You will be asked to leave excess quantities outside the event. You will NOT be allowed to re-enter the festival site with alcohol once you’ve entered the festival site via the entrance gates.
- Alcohol can be brought into the campsite on first entry only with a Weekend Camping Ticket. For clarification Weekend Non-Camping ticketholders cannot bring alcohol.
- Alcohol cannot be brought into the main arenas from the campsites. There are fully licensed bars available for you.
- You will not be allowed to bring in glass bottles of any kind. Broken glass is dangerous for kids and for animals who will be using the park and fields after the event. Leave all glass in the car, decant it into plastic bottles or bin it. There are no exceptions.
- Please do not climb the flag poles.
- No tents allowed in the Boutique Camping Field.
- Campervans (& Motorhomes) are permitted as long as they fulfil the criteria laid out on the Campervan page of this website (in Info section).
- Caravans & Trailer Tents are permitted as long as they fulfil the criteria laid out on the Caravans & Trailer Tents page of this website (in Info section).
- We have a no naked flame policy at the festival and in the campsite. Fires, flares, fireworks, Chinese lanterns etc will extinguished by the Dorset fire service. HOWEVER, there will be designated areas in the campsite where you’ll be able to go to use small BBQs and stoves to cook food.
- No pet animals are allowed on the festival site other than dogs assisting the visually impaired.
- The promoter reserves the right to change the line up without notification.
- You must have lots of fun, it’s the law.
- Warning: exposure to loud and excessive music may be damaging to your hearing.
- Parents are reminded that some areas of the festival site, especially immediately in front of the stages, are inappropriate for some people including young children. Also please note that some performances may contain language or material that may offend some people.
- Strobe lighting may be used at the festival.
- The Lulworth Estate is a beautiful natural site and we want to keep it that way so please help us by keeping it clean & recycling/composting what you can. Keep Bestival Tidy!
We will be operating and enforcing a strict Challenge 25 policy at Bestival. If you can’t provide valid identification when asked, you will be asked to leave the site and come back with your ID. So if you are lucky enough to look 25 or younger, please make sure that you bring an acceptable form of identification.
Valid forms of ID include:
- An in date photographic driver’s license or provisional licence.
- A valid passport (not a photocopy). Out of date passports will NOT be accepted.
- A Proof of Age Standards Scheme Card (showing the PASS hologram).
Latest reviews left by Skiddle customers:
Disabled Access Information
Electric wheelchairs can tackle most areas without too much hindrance but the ground can be quite uneven in places and is predominantly on grass. If it rains it may get muddy and access around the site (other than on the paths) movement may be very difficult. Your Personal Assistant will need to assist you if it becomes difficult. The terrain is predominantly short grass with firm soil so movement around the main arena and other stages is possible for fit wheelchair users in good weather.
PLEASE NOTE: Internal transport to get around Bestival is not provided.
Bestival recognise that some of you may need to find a space to step away from the crowds and noise. They do all they can to provide this but it is difficult in a festival environment … Bestival will do their best.
The Accessible Camping Area is positioned as near as possible to the main Main Stage and arenas. It is a few minutes from here to the main arena on relatively flat ground and is one of the quietest and closest to the arenas. It is the best location that can be achieved for all of the needs of the people Bestival try to accommodate.
DISABILITY ACCESS CAMPSITE
The Disability Access Camping Area is positioned as near as possible to the main Main Stage and arenas. It is a few minutes from here to the main arena on relatively flat ground and is one of the quietest and closest to the arenas. It is the best location that can be achieved for all of the needs of the people Bestival try to accommodate.
Please note that you should prepare to bring a tent or campervan that will fit in a 7m x 5m space. Of course, those who require a little more space will be helped if there is space available. NB: Your family and friends can camp with you in the Accessibility camping area but your group including the person with a disability, a Personal Assistant and children can be a maximum of 6 people. Other people with disabilities who are your friends and family should apply separately.
General campsites are for all members of the general public and car parks are located outside the festival arenas and campsite areas. Other than accessible toilets, there are no provisions for those with disabilities but people with disabilities can use the facilities in the Disability Access Campsite should these be helpful.
Those in the Disability Access Campsite will need to follow signs for Blue Gate (Robin Hill). Only one vehicle is allowed in the camping area and this includes motorhomes or campervans. If there is no space, you will be asked to park your car away from the campsite area.
If you are in General Admission Camping, Boutique Camping, Campervan/Caravan Field, Wild Copse or Tangerine Fields, they have separate car parks for you to use and if you choose public transport, you will enter using the same entrances as other members of the public (please note that these entrances have hills and you will need to arrange your transport in and out of the festival with the Festaxi service in advance of the festival).
A car park for day visiting persons (with weekend tickets as we don’t sell day tickets) with a disability is close by and accessible throughout the weekend. Friends will have to park in the main car park, however.
Please note that Bestival is in a field where normal home-type levels of facilities are just not possible. They do their absolute best but sometimes vehicles get stuck in traffic, things break or don’t work and they'll be doing their best to fix it, and of course look to improve each year with newer available facilities.
Please note that facilities for those with mobility difficulties such as showers and toilets should NOT be used by your other guests. It’s important that those facilities are kept for people who need them most. Those with disabilities are the priority in this campsite.
- Charging points for electric wheelchairs are available – these are undercover outdoors so can be affected by damp conditions so chargers are left at users risk.
- Some customers will be eligible for power hook-ups but this is for more extreme cases where there are life-support needs only
- Certain medical support is available from the on site medical centre but any specific medical needs should be discussed before purchasing a ticket.
- On-site hospital. Bestival has a hospital on site but it is NOT a residential hospital. No-one should be left in the on-site hospital overnight, or be left unattended by their Personal Assistant if in this environment.
- Accessible lavatories will be positioned at various places around the festival and Bestival aim to protect them from public use. Please check out where they are on site so you know where to go when you need to go.
- In the Accessibility campsite, showers and toilets are provided – Stewards will be on hand to help with any issues that may arise during the weekend
- Bestival do not supply motability buggies or any other form of onsite transport so you will need to bring your own if it is needed
- Bestival do not supply medical equipment or essential medical supplies so you will need to bring these yourself or arrange delivery
- You are a member of the general public and are not permitted in backstage areas to bypass public walkways
If you have any pressing questions that are not answered here above, please email email@example.com.
Travelling to/from the festival
The Isle of Wight is a short ferry ride from Southampton, Portsmouth or Lymington and really couldn’t be easier to get to – the ferry ports all connect easily with road, coach and rail.
Please read the other articles in this Travel & Transportation section carefully for detailed instructions on how to get to and back from Bestival.
Make sure you pre-book your ferry travel for Bestival 2017 as soon as possible. The earlier you book, the more choice you will have for crossing times and you’ll also get the best prices. If you want to travel with Big Green Coach then book now as seats sell out quickly every year.
If you do not live on the Island and you haven't bought a travel and ticket package from one of our ferry operators, you will need to book your ferry crossings to and from the Island. Please do this as soon as possible in order to secure the best possible crossing times and prices:
Wightlink – www.wightlink.co.uk/bestival / 0871 376 1000 Foot passenger 'Catamaran' runs from Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde Pier Head in around 20 minutes. Wightlink car and passenger ferries run from Portsmouth to Fishbourne and Lymington to Yarmouth in approx. 35 minutes.
Red Funnel – www.redfunnel.co.uk/bestival / 0844 844 9988 Passenger/vehicle ferries go from Southampton to East Cowes in approx 50 mins. Foot passengers can also travel on the 'Red Jet' service from Southampton to West Cowes which takes approx 20 mins.
South West Trains operate services to the following stations:
Portsmouth Harbour Station – where you will be metres away from the Wightlink 'Catamaran' service to Ryde Pier Head. Select 'Ryde Pier Head' as your travel destination and your train ticket will also include the Catamaran journey (& save you money).
Southampton Central Station – where a courtesy bus will take you the short journey to Red Funnel's 'Red Jet' to West Cowes. Select 'West Cowes' as your travel destination and your train ticket will also include the Red Jet ferry journey (& save you money).
Portsmouth & Southsea Station – where the Hoverbus service collects every 30 minutes at 11 & 41 minutes past the hour (from Commercial Road Bus Stop C) and takes you directly to the Southsea Hovertravel Terminal in approximately 7 minutes, for the trip to Ryde. If you have a through rail ticket to 'Ryde Hoverport' your Hoverbus journey is free, otherwise it's just £1.30 a journey.
More info and train times available from South West Trains or National Rail / 08457 484950.
NB: Look out for GroupSave – where 3 or 4 adults or children can travel for the price of 2 adults on various off-peak ticket types.
Please follow our directions from the ferry ports to the Bestival site and car parks below.
We work very closely with both Red Funnel and Wightlink ferry companies to try and help reduce congestion at the ports on Monday. You must help to play your part by turning up for your scheduled ferry on time – THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
NB. There are local road closures and diversions in place, please turn off your SAT NAV and follow event routing and signage, once you are on the IOW, you will not need SAT NAV to get you to Bestival.
From East Cowes ferry: As you come off the ferry you will hit a roundabout; take the second exit (straight on) onto A3021. After 3 miles you will come to another roundabout, 1st exit onto A3054 (signposted Ryde) and you will pick up event signage.
From Fishbourne ferry: As you come off the ferry travel straight on up B3731 (Fishbourne Lane). At the top of the lane you will pick up event signage.
From Yarmouth ferry: As you come off the ferry you will hit a roundabout; take the first exit along the A3054 (Forest Road) to Newport. After 9 miles you will hit a roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto A3020 (signposted Town Centre). You will pick up event signage from this point.
The history of Bestival festival
Bestival has been held annually in late summer since 2004, in a small country park called 'Robin Hill'. The festival is organized by BBC Radio 1 leftfield DJ Rob da Bank and is an off-shoot of his Sunday Best record label and club nights. Creative Director and wife Josie da Bank and co founders / partners John and Ziggy from Get Involved are also involved in organising Bestival.
The Isle of Wight was chosen for many reasons as the site of Bestival, primarily due to its notable natural beauty. It is also known that the Isle of Wight holds more carnivals per capita than anywhere else in the United Kingdom. Besides being generally smaller, there are several qualities that make Bestival and will make Bestival 2014 different from the Isle of Wight Festival. It is considered more alternative and diverse, offering a large selection of vegetarian foods; a dressing up tent and a 'secret stage'.
Bestival is well known for its fancy dress themed days (usually the Saturday of the festival). In 2005, an attempt was made to set the Guinness World Record for most people in fancy dress at any one event.
Explore similar festivals to Bestival festival
Find similar festivals by exploring the categories and classifications below: