‘Get in, Get Fucked and get out’, these are the 7 words that prompted the existence of ‘Viking Skull’. Realising that the 4 years on the road with Raging Speedhorn had temporarily stopped for a well earned break, assorted members of RSH band and Crew faced the very real prospect of the booze drying up for a few months. Roddy Stone, RSH’s long time guitar tech reasoned with the rest of Speedhorn ,still left in Corby, that all they had to do for the free beer to continue was form a local band and play local clubs. It’s gonna be easy he said, "All we gotta do is, get in, get fucked and get out"
So, as with many great things in rock music, the impetus for the formation of Viking Skull was alcohol. Free alcohol at that. For Roddy, Darren, Gordon and Waldie, the lure of a free pint was enough to encourage them to play a few songs at a local jam night, held weekly at the ex-serviceman’s club in their home town of Corby. Their improvised sessions combined foot-stomping old-school metal riffs with bluesy overtones and elaborate guitar solos. The ex-serviceman’s club shut down, but that wasn’t going to get between these musicians and their beer, and they soon relocated to the jam night at Kettering Town Football Club a few miles away.
As their appearances grew ever-more frequent, the five piece decided that some rehearsal time would give them a chance to fine-tune their style and write some original songs to play, rather than resorting to covers. For Gordon Morison (drums) and Darren Smith (guitar), Viking Skull provided a chance to take a break from the heavy-duty pounding metal of their other project, Raging Speedhorn, and play some sleazy, laid back rock. For Speedhorn guitar tech Roddy Stone (vocals) and merch man Waldie (bass) it was a chance to share the limelight, but more importantly carry on drinking.
With more free pints and the eye-catching name of Viking Skull, the band’s local notoriety and popularity grew until, in early 2002, they decided to lay down some of their self-penned songs. Two days in Premier studios in Corby produced six outstanding and ingeniously-titled tracks: 1. Beers, Drugs and Bitches. 2. Wizard’s Sleeve. 3. Frostbite. 4. Rape, Pillage and Burn. 5. Crazy Trucker. 6. Skull Heaven.
The band’s first performances outside of Northamptonshire arrived in October 2002, when Gordon, Frank and Darren found themselves with a double workload as Viking Skull filled the empty support slot on Raging Speedhorn’s UK tour. It was obvious that the Viking Skull name was beginning to spread when several fans turned up to the gigs with home-made ‘Skull t-shirts. The local shows also continued, including a fated night supporting Dukes of Nothing where the gig was cancelled in the middle of Viking Skull’s set because the floor collapsed under the feet of the furiously manic mosh pit.
Increasing interest in the band has led the five-piece to take Viking Skull to the next level, with an upcoming UK tour and the release of their debut full length ablum to be released 31st october.
The music of Viking Skull exudes cool confidence which regularly escalates into arrogance, Mixing Black Sabbath’s groove, Deep Purple’s pulsing rhythms and AC/DC’s libido The Skull have come to fuck you up.
VIKING SKULL TOUR DATES
24-Nov-05 Plymouth Warehouse Headline
25-Nov-05 Yeovil Flicks Headline
26-Nov-05 Sheffield Corparation Headline
27-Nov-05 Stoke Sugarmill Headline
28-Nov-05 Birmingham Barfly Headline
29-Nov-05 Brighton Freebutt Headline
30-Nov-05 Aldershot Westend Centre Headline
1-Dec-05 Manchester Music Box Headline
2-Dec-05 Glasgow Cathouse Headline
3-Dec-05 Aberdeen Moshulu Headline
4-Dec-05 Preterbourough Park Headline
5-Dec-05 Carlisle Brickyard Headline
6-Dec-05 Leeds Cockpit Headline
7-Dec-05 Nottingham The Rig Headline
8-Dec-05 London Underworld Headline
9-Dec-05 Britol Anson Rooms Headline
10 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT VIKING SKULL FRONTMAN RODDY STONE
1. RODDY WAS ONCE INVOLVED IN A GUN FIGHT IN SOUTH AFRICA, WHICH RESULTED IN HIM HAVING A PISTOL SHOVED IN HIS MOUTH. HIS RETORT OF ‘YOU WOULDN’T LAST 5 MINUTES IN CORBY’ TO THE GUNMAN MAY JUST HAVE SAVED HIS LIFE.
2. HE ONCE DEVELOPED A METHOD OF SHOPLIFTING IN AMERICA THAT INVOLVED GETTING NAKED AND COVERING HIMSELF IN BUTTER, REASONING THAT IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR ANYONE TO GET A HOLD OF HIM
3. AT EARLY VIKING SKULL SHOWS RODDY WOULD POUR PETROL OVER HIMSELF AND SET FIRE TO HIMSELF. AFTER AN UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT THAT ENDED UP WITH HIM IN KETTERING GENERAL HOSPITAL HE DECIDED THE STAGE SHOW WOULD HAVE TO BE SAVED FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS.
4. AFTER A RATHER EXCESSIVE WEEK IN NEW YORK WITH VARIOUS MEMBERS OF GWAR AND MARILYN MANSONS ONTERAGE (DON’T ASK) RODDY DECIDED TO GO WALKING ON THE LEDGE OF A PROMINENT NYC HOTEL 17 FLOORS UP PROMPTING A LARGE CROWD AND NEAR ARREST.
5. HE ONCE SPENT 2 DAYS IN A SPANISH PRISON WITH RAGING SPEEDHORN.
6. LIVING AS A VIRTUAL RECLUSE IN HIS COUNCIL FLAT, HE HAS LITERALLY NOT SEEN THE OUTSIDE WORLD FOR THREE MONTHS NOW. REASONING THAT HE WANTED A BEARD, A SIX PACK AND THE BEST LEAD BREAK IN THE WORLD, AND THAT THE ONLY WAY IT COULD BE ACHIEVED IS WITH TOTAL ISOLATION AND A DIET OF ONLY BEANS ON TOAST.
7. RODDY ONCE DUETED WITH BRUCE DICKINSON OF IRON MAIDEN AND MATT FROM FUNERAL FOR A FRIEND ON A COVER OF BLACK SABBATHS ‘BLACK SABBATH’ THE RESULTS CAN STILL BE FOUND IF YOU LOOK HARD ENOUGH ON THE WEB.
8. ON A PRESS TRIP TO AMERICA LAST YEAR HE WAS SUPPOSED TO REVIEW A SLAYER SHOW IN GRAND RAPIDS AND A HEADBANGERS BALL IN PHILADELPIA. UNFORTUNATELY HE WAS THROWN OUT OF SLAYER BEFORE THE SHOW FOR ACCIDENTLY URINATING ON THE CROWD AND TRYING TO FLEE SECURITY BY LEAPING THE BALCONY. PHILADELPHIA DIDN’T FARE MUCH BETTER AS HE WAS DENIED ENTRY AND INSTEAD HUNG OUT WITH SOME PENSIONERS DRESSED AS GENE SIMMONS AND A WEDDING PARTY OF POLICE FROM LOUISIANA WHOM EXTOLED THE VIRTUES OF HAVE INTERCOURSE WITH GOATS. (NO REALLY!)
9. RODDYS PREVIOUS BANDS HAVE BEEN CALLED: VD CLINIC (HEAVIER THAN A DEATH IN THE FAMILY), ALSATION, DOGMEAT, VOLCANO (HOTTER THAN HELL), CERVICAL EROSION AND BALLBAG.
10. RODDY ONCE HAD A W.A.S.P COVERS BAND CALLED ‘I CANT BELIVE IT’S NOT W.A.S.P'
VIKING SKULL’S DEBUT FULL LENGTH ALBUM ‘BORN IN HELL’ IS IN STORES NOW ON GRAND RECORDINGS THROUGH SHELLSHOCK DISTRIBUTION.